Car rental in Morocco: beware of these 7 scams even on vacation!

Car rental in Casablanca, Marrakech or anywhere else in the kingdom is often a very practical solution for those who come to spend only a few days in Morocco. And if the regulations concerning car rental become more and more firm and strict in Morocco, know that it is still very easy to rent a car. Beware, however, of some local agencies that are only highly recommendable for their rental practices … Here are the 7 things to know absolutely to rent your car in Casablanca, Marrakech, Agadir where anywhere or in the rest of the kingdom! These advices should enable you to prepare as much as possible your stay and your hiring in Morocco before even your departure in order to avoid unpleasant surprises, and for those which wish a share of adventure, believe me that in Morocco even having everything organized 100%, well you will always have a bit of surprise, but rest assured, we are used to it and we solve everything with a smile!

Get the best rental price online

The price of a car rental varies a lot depending on where you collect the vehicle, your dates (high or low seasons) and your needs (number of drivers, baby seat, additional options …). Of course the more you book in advance the less you will pay, but I go more and more directly online for my rentals and that of my friends. To avoid spending hours comparing car rental deals, the solution I sometimes use is to go directly through a car rental price comparison. Just like the flight or hotel comparators that allow you to find the cheapest plane tickets or hotels, there is also a car rental comparator: location voiture Marrakech.

There are many advantages to using a comparator:

Save time by simultaneously comparing the prices of the largest agencies such as: Europcar, Hertz, Avis and more than 200 other agencies. These agencies all speak fluent French, Arabic and even English and have, in addition to their experience, a solid fleet of vehicles and very strict specifications to meet as an international agency.
The prices are guaranteed to be the lowest, because the comparator negotiates additional discounts directly with the agencies.
RentalCars does not add any administrative, credit card or modification fees to your reservation afterwards. All this is included in the price displayed.
You can rent your car and collect it both at Mohammed V airport in Casablanca, Marrakech airport, but also in the city center with agency offices, which is practical, because agencies not all local ones are located at airports.
Finally, by booking online, you are sure of the availability of the vehicle on arrival, the type of vehicle you will take and have the contact details of your contact on site in advance.
My personal advice: When you arrive at the airport in Casablanca, Marrakech or elsewhere in the kingdom, it is possible that you will be approached by touts from rental agencies not present at the airport. Beware of these people and head straight to your rental office.

Additional insurance:

Think carefully about the importance of taking out insurance with your car rental, because if you have a VISA PREMIER card or a GOLD MASTERCARD then you already have insurance as part of car rental abroad. I know that the GOLD MASTERCARD covers damage and theft of the vehicle, offers civil liability abroad valid in Morocco, medical assistance and repatriation …

In all cases, contact your bank card service to update them on the need or not to take out insurance with the car rental. RentalCars insurance is 12 € 27 per day and in addition to covering all your costs related to damage, it also covers the costs of taxis, towing, administration, but above all, and it is in my opinion the most important, it fully covers your security deposit, you are then able to recover everything, which is not negligible when you know that certain security deposits are quite large.

My personal advice: For the insurance to work, remember to pay your rental with your bank card, but also to keep absolutely all the supporting documents or even to require them after each payment.

One thought on “Car rental in Morocco: beware of these 7 scams even on vacation!”